Thursday, July 22, 2010

Someday Somebody’s Gonna Ask You…

 

A Question That You Should Say Yes To

Once in your life

I’ve got a question for you!

Doc and I don’t have a song.  Nothing has ever really seemed to fit our relationship and despite the fact that many songs speak to us, we’ve never had "our song”.  I love the Old 97’s song “Question”.  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to think about Doc and I deciding to stick together.  Many people know our engagement story, but a lot of people don’t know the first time Doc told me his intentions.  I think that moment was the one that sealed us together.

We were sitting on the old blue dumpster coach in Doc’s dorm room.  We had been working really hard on all of his medical school admissions paperwork and Doc and been accepted to OSU.  I remember thinking about him leaving Stillwater.  As much as I loved him, I knew that I could not afford to move to Tulsa and pay for my own stuff.  Tulsa was too expensive and I was terrified of what my life would be without him.  He was going to graduate in a few months and leave me.  I remember tears forming in my eyes as I thought about it.  I don’t remember the exact discussion that followed, but I remember Doc gently brushing a tear from my cheek and holding my hand and saying, “Listen.  I am going to marry you as soon as it makes sense to.”

That was the first moment that I realized that Doc never worried about what it would be like when he left to go to medical school because he had planned on taking me with him all along.  He never doubted for a moment that we would be together through all of our toughest journeys.  I worried about so many things, and here he had it all figured out. 

I think about those two kids in love and all of the changes we’ve been through and I think that’s why we’ve never had a song.  We change.  It’s one of the best things about us as a couple.  We have changed so much since we met and it’s only made us stronger.  We are the kind of couple that can change and grow and morph and still find that firey love for one another.

So we may never have a song.  We might have a song de jeur.  Here is today’s:

1 comment:

  1. OK first of all, you write blogs faster than I can keep up with them!

    Secondly, I love that story of you and Doc! :) Its so sweet and makes me remember times like that as well!

    I find it amazing that you and I were friends at that time...barely! Working together at the FRC, woo hooo! I never would have guessed that you and I would have become as close as we have. You and Doc are amazing people. Hubs and I feel extremely blessed to call you both our friends (and if we could pick family, we'd definitely pick you two as well) love you!

    ReplyDelete