Friday, February 11, 2011

Love Day Treats

 

Today Little Bird and I made Love Day treats!  I have made this modified form of “haystack” for Doc as a Valentine’s gift for a long time.

Here is what you need:

IMG_1474

Ruffles, Peanut Butter, Walnuts, Meltable Chocolate, Butterscotch Chips, some sort of mold or tray and ziplocs for smashing!

These are kind of like a no-bake cookie.  You start off by melting some of the chocolate and pouring it into the bottom of the molds.

IMG_1481IMG_1480

I left one of the molds empty because one of my coworkers doesn’t like chocolate and peanut butter together.

Next you have mash the potato chips into little pieces.  I use the whole bag and smash them in small groups.

Smashing up potato chips is the best part!  Just ask Little Bird:

 

 

IMG_1479

 

Next you have to melt the butterscotch chips and about a cup of peanut butter.  I like to use a wooden skewer to stir things like this because I don’t end up wasting a bunch of food that gets stuck on the stirring device.  You want to melt it at 30 second increments until it is smooth.  Then you stir the melted butterscotch peanut butter in with the potato chips and about a cup of chopped IMG_1482walnuts!  I would recommend buying the walnuts you use already chopped because chopping them myself sucked. was a rewarding yet time consuming activity.

You will stir these all together until everything is nice a coated with the mixture.  You want it to be pretty clumpy.  It should be a nice golden color.  Now all you have to do is press the mixture into your molds on top ofIMG_1490 the chocolate.  I used a spoon to do this (which Little Bird loved licking after I was done!)

 

IMG_1491

 

Now simply put them in the freezer for about an hour and VOILA!

IMG_1492

I made heart shaped ones and “cupcake” style ones to give to friends and family for Love Day!  You can pop the shapes out of silicon molds, but otherwise, sticking with something like cupcake wrappers is the easiest as far as getting them out of the tray and into your wrappings.

I put the treats in pretty boxes and then stored them in the freezer until it’s time to give them.  They can also be stored in the refrigerator but you probably want to keep them there until it’s time to give/eat!

IMG_1494IMG_1495

IMG_1496IMG_1497

Haystacks were something Doc’s grandma used to make.  She passed away around this time of year.  I like making these around now because it seems like a good way to remember her.  Even though it’s my own variation – the smell reminds me of her, and how excited she was when we’d bring her some.

Happy Love Day

No comments:

Post a Comment