Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Happiest I Have Ever Been Setting the Table

Yesterday was Winter Solstice.  It is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere when the sun aligns with the Tropic of Capricorn.  It is also, a Fowlington High Holiday.

Since we have split up traditional holidays between our families, we wanted to have some holidays to be “Fowlington Holidays”.  So, we decided to pick four holidays that are already set up in the calendar.  Why not the Equinoxes and Solstices?  One for each season!

So last night, we celebrated the longest night of the year by eating a delicious holiday meal at our table.

IMG_1259

I cannot tell you how happy  just stepping back and seeing the three place settings, one being all cute and tiny, made me.  I was just so happy to see a representation of my growing family!

Our unity candle burned brightly as the sun set.  We went around the table and shared a few things with eachother.

We shared the thing we were most proud of for the past year for each person.

We shared our wish for the coming year for each person.

Doc, I am so proud of how much you have come into your own.  I’ve watched you develop more and more confidence in your personal beliefs this year.  You are such a wonderful man and I am proud that we continue to grow together.

Little Bird, I am so proud of all that you do!  I love your curiosity and confidence in exploring.  I am proud that you put your dishes in the dishwasher and your dirty clothes in the hamper because you want to help.  My wish for you in the next year is that you can find little friends to play with wherever we are next year.

Next year, we do not know where we will be.  But we can still gather around the table together and watch the sunset as we celebrate the warmth and happiness that our little family brings.

1 comment:

  1. this was cute and very touching. i love your little family. it gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete