Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Second Wedding Vows

True, we were married for the second time a few months ago, but we wrote our vows on a friend’s PC and it took us a while to manage to retrieve them.  However, I did think I’d post them – just for fun.

Our friend Ashley:

Friends of the Panama City Beach Vacation 2011, welcome to Matt and Elle’s 2nd wedding.

They have decided to renew their wedding vows as a symbol of their constantly changing relationship and of the victory their love has had over the challenges they have faced.

I remind you that marriage is a precious gift; a lifelong dedication to love and a daily challenge to love one another more fully and more freely.

Matt and Elle will now read the vows they have written to one another.

Us:

I, Matt/Elle, still take you Elle/Matt to be my awesome loving wife/husband.

I promise to work with you to build a family filled with love and joy in which we are equal partners in all we do.

I promise to honor your goals and dreams in the same way I strive to reach my own.

I promise to love and cherish you, in sickness, health, and pregnancy/residency.

For richer or for now

For joys and sorrows

Keeping myself only unto you all the days of my life.

Our friend Ashely:

A few final words,

Let your love be stronger than your anger.

Learn the wisdom of compromise, for it is better to bend than to break.

Look for the best in each other rather than the worst.

Confide in your partner and ask for help when you need it.

Accept help from one another.

Remember that true friendship is the basis for any lasting relationship.

Matt and Elle, having renewed your vows here before witnesses on this beach and recommitting to one another, by the power vested in me by an online source, I now pronounce you husband and wife.

You may kiss your wife.

 

Thinking back on these vows – the things we wrote were promises we’d made to each other that we believed made us a strong couple and would see us through any tribulation.  These very promises have helped us maintain closeness and openness throughout our current trial. 

It’s funny how at the time we thought medical school and residency would be our biggest trials.  It’s funny how residency and Doc being gone so much seems so little of a hiccup now.  We have no choice but to be strong for one another, even if we can only do it for the hour a day we occasionally get.

I’m looking forward to our third wedding, where Little Bird and my dear Little Tree can be there to celebrate with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment