Monday, August 17, 2009

I will never use vegetable oil again!

At least, not in baking.

A few days ago, I began to get a strong craving for baking. It happens sometimes. I feel the need to preheat and make everything I can out of what I have in the house. Last week, it was blueberry muffins. So I go to my delightful blueberry muffin mix (not organic, but it uses real blueberries) and check the box. Need 2 eggs. Check. Need 1/3 cup vegetable oil.....no check. I was out and not in the mood to go to the store. After all, I had already started preheating the oven!

So off to the good old world wide I went and after entering "vegetable oil substitute" into the Bing search bar (I'm giving Bing a chance) I stumbled across the best alternative ever. APPLESAUCE! Tell me that blueberry muffins made with applesauce doesn't sound amazing! So, I had this awesome granny smith applesauce with no added sugar in individual serving sizes (that is just a tad over 1/3 cup). I opened up a package and measured out 1/3 cup of yum yum applesauce into the mix, and 20 minutes later swore myself away from EVER using vegetable oil in baking again!

Plus, applesauce...way healthier!

1 comment:

  1. Jarred baby prunes work as well in dark mixes (like chocolate!) Definitely doesn't work too well though in like a white cake...it won't be white afterwards!

    ReplyDelete