Saturday, January 8, 2011

Songs That Matter to Me: Doubting Thomas

 

Those of you who have ever seen me listening to music, know of my deep connection to the music produced by Nickel Creek. 

My last years in high school, they released their final album, “Why Should the Fire Die”.  This album shifted from the lighter storytelling notes of their first two to a darker, more honest, and raw take on their bluegrass blend.

When I first heard Doubting Thomas, it moved me to tears.  It echoed so deeply the thoughts I had as someone who had begun to battle with the ideas of “faith”.  Accepting ideas because they are told to you is one thing, but truly believing them within yourself when you openly question them is completely different, and terrifying.  This song gave me so much comfort as I struggled with my desire to search for answers and fear of where that search would lead.

I have posted the lyrics for you, but also, I will post a music video.  This is NOT a video by Nickel Creek.  A group produced this for a film project and posted it on YouTube but I rather like it, so enjoy!  Video below lyrics!

Doubting Thomas by Nickel Creek

What will be left when I've drawn my last breath,
Besides the folks I've met and the folks who know me,
Will I discover a soul saving love,
Or just the dirt above and below me,
I'm a doubting thomas,
I took a promise,
But I do not feel safe,
Oh me of little faith.


Sometimes I pray for a slap in the face,
Then I beg to be spared 'cause I'm a coward,
If there's a master of death I'll bet he's holding his breath,
As I show the blind and tell the deaf about his power,
I'm a doubting thomas,
I can't keep my promises,
'Cause i don't know what's safe,
oh me of little faith.


Can I be used to help others find truth,
When I'm scared I'll find proof that its a lie,
Can I be lead down a trail dropping bread crumbs,
That prove I'm not ready to die.


Please give me time to decipher the signs,
Please forgive me for time that I've wasted,
I'm a doubting thomas,
I'll take your promise,
Though I know nothin's safe,
Oh me of little faith

In the comments, I ask that you share a song that has touched you at a certain point in your life!

1 comment:

  1. I have several songs that have affected me in my life....mostly by Relient K. They are to me what Nickel Creek is to you. But I will email you the list with lyrics instead of taking up a copious amount of space on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete