Thursday, December 24, 2009

Ugh, Breastfeeding

Well, I have met my challenge as a hippie in breastfeeding. My daughter is a "frantic nurser" for about the first 3 minutes, refusing to latch correctly and when she incorrectly latches she sucks like crazy. After 3 minutes or so, she will relax enough to let me get her latched correctly and nurse. After 9 days we've gotten to the point that I am torn up enough that breast feeding is too dang painful, so...

New Plan:

1. Pump and bottle feed with slow release nipples on the bottles for a few days until my own body heals.
2. Once healed, wake baby up/start nursing before she gets very hungry so she doesn't freak out when it's time to eat.
3. Once we are back to breastfeeding from the breast, I'm going to try pumping for a minute or two before I try to latch her so that the "let down" reflex (when milk starts really flowing) kicks in before she starts nursing to limit her frantic behavior with nursing.

I'm hoping that she will go back to the breast once I'm healed and we can fix it and successfully nurse. I'm pretty upset about how hard this has been. We've been struggling every 2 hours for 9 days to get her to nurse well. The only time I remember her letting me latch her right at the beginning of nursing was right after she was born, and it was a wonderful moment for us. I know that in just over two weeks I have to go back to school and she will be bottle-fed breastmilk most of the time, but I'd love to still be able to nurse her every now and then.

P.S. All those "I can't wait to not be pregnant because I can eat X again" thoughts went out the window. I have no interest in eating most of them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment