Friday, September 28, 2012

It Starts With Me

The more I think about politics and the election I keep thinking that I don't want to need to pick a politician to fix what's wrong in the world around me. I want to change things. I want to personally play a role in seeing the changes in my community that are needed.

My family has been in crisis. We were helped. Yes, the government policies in health care reform helped us. BUT, we never required any additional help from the government because PEOPLE helped us. Friends, family, strangers. They reached out and helped. They took care of us.

Seeing the difference that these people made in our lives has made me feel empowered. I think that college and then the “real world” had disillusioned me a bit. I felt a bit like “what can I do?” but I feel differently now.

I can give money to families in need. I can raise money to help other families in crisis. I can remember my local food banks (especially when there is a sale). I can pick up lost dogs. I can support friends in need. I can volunteer my time. I can continue to do things that matter to me, like support local small business owners by giving them my business.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could get to a place where we didn’t have to fight about government assistance because we didn’t need it. What if we helped each other. It’s the ideal world right? Well I’m starting it with me. I’m teaching my daughter. I’m not giving up because even if I can’t change the world, I can change my community. I can make a difference in the lives of my friends and families. That’s how change starts right?

I’m done trying to pick a political candidate I think will help. I can help. I will still make the best decision I can with the election, but I’m not depending on the government to help those in need anymore. I’m depending on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment